Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Frightful's Mountain: Week Three

Good news! I have read a good chunk of my book and I am able to summarize for you. Just to let some of  you know, this is my last post for November. Anyway, here's what has happened: Unfortunately, my prediction from my last post was incorrect. Sam has been feeding his beautiful bird regularly. And, Frightful has been brooding three chicks. Two of them were captured by illegal bird salesmen, but the police caught them red-handed, but the chicks can't go back to Frightful because the Feds have been watching them. So now, Sam is stuck without Frightful's two chicks, but it's not a total loss. Frightful and her old mate have been taking care of Oski, who was with Sam when the other two chicks were captured. Also, migration season is coming, and Sam won't see Frightful until season's end. She is currently making it to South America with a group of birds of prey and her old son, Drum.

Why do I like this book? It teaches the reader a lot about falcons in general, like how they have a special gland to oil their flight feathers, or the special call chicks use when they're hungry, how they fly through these things called thermals, etc. Not only does this book tell a story of friendship, but it's also very educational. Well played, Mrs. George.

1 comment:

  1. Lauren,
    You are a fantastic book reviewer and blogger! Very articulate :D
    I'm going to pick up this book as soon as I can find the time.

    ReplyDelete